The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I understand the marketing.

Re: Of Carrera's, Speedmasters & shots across the Posted By: Mark Moss Date: 5/30/07 18:56GMT

In Response To: Of Carrera's, Speedmasters & shots across the bow… (Chicagoland ChuckMaddox)

It's true, there are some very Carrera elements in there but it doesn't appeal to me. External bezeldoesn't say Carrera to me at all.

I do agree with you on the last bit... While I wouldn't like the current 7750 Carrera model to be named Autavia, which has been produced with an external bezel in the past, I too feel the Carrera name should be kept with a design truer to it's historic roots.
Wrongname, wrong watch w/ wrong ambassador:

The two classic models which sported a Valjoux 7750 movement are the Pasadena (as pictured in the portal post above) and the Montreal:

However, neither of those models had an external bezel. So this 7750 based model should, in my opinion anyway, have a new name.

Still, they're nice watches I guess.

As I said back in 2004...
Pasadena[or Montreal] is the most obvious choice for this watch, but Riverside, Sebring, Laguna Seca, or any one of a number of other racing circuits (Mosport, Nurbergring, etc.) would have been better choices in my opinion. In fact you could pick a 1 mile long NASCAR circuit like Phoenix, Dover, Milwaukee, Nazareth, Pike's Peak, for example and the Tachy bezel can by used forconverting lap times...

[of course Nazareth and Pike's Peak aren't 1 mile courses, but you get the idea]

Of all the reeditions, TAG seem to make mostfree and easy with the Carreras

I think it's a great name, an established name and the fact that there are many Porsche automobiles which sport the Carrera moniker is also a good ploy. I understand the marketing reason[s] to use that name, I just wish they'd come up with a new one for these models.

- in the UK, at least, the vast majority at any AD tend to be watches rather than chronos. For me, a Carrera should be a tool watch - I am allowed to think of my 371 as a tool watch, right? ;)Guess that's where themass market is.

A lot of people would consider a Time Only IWC Type XV to be a tool watch. It isn't in my opinion, buit I am not so worried about it that I'd argue the point.

Good point on leaving the name off on those original reeditions Chuck - could be tricky on one of thetypical fuzzy 'bay photos...

Especially since some of those shots seem to be taken from Orbit!

Both are nice watches Ralph - good luck with the purchase - and be careful it doesn't become a case of noteither/or, but both!

Nothing wrong with having both, in fact, it may well be enevitable, but realize that going it, or run away now while you still can.

I've long said we should warn at the top of the page "Abandon all hope, Ye who enter here!" and "Resistance is futile" at the bottom!

Good Hunting!

-- Chuck

ChuckMaddox

(Articleindex @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like many things in life,only improve with age…

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE