The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: vintage vs re-issue
In Response To: vintage vs re-issue ()

Ralph
If you're talking cars, I'd love to have a BMW 3.0CS. But it's going to rust, break down, and cost a fortune to fix. Since I don't fix my own cars and don't like sitting on the side of the road with a disalbled car, I'd probably rather have a Subaru WRZ or a Civic Si.
But a watch is just a watch obviously you want it to tell reasonable time but it's not usually too hard to find a vintage piece that will do that. And if you need a backup, go to Target and buy a $50 quartz timex.
The downside of buying a vintage watch vs a newer mechanical watch is minimal, and if you buy smartly you can usually get back what you paid and a little more.
Chuck, I'll be happy to pay you $570 for that beat up Heuer Siffert that was ruined with the silly engraved back.
Okay, $580.
best
Alllden

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE