The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Great Discussion / Some Reactions
In Response To: vintage vs re-issue ()

welcome to our world!! vintage or modern, we are glad to have you aboard.

some reactions to the discussion, as follows:

• Vintage Can be Daily Wearer: In fact, of the last 2,500 days (approx. 7 years), I have worn vintage watches approx. 2,450 days. A couple of minor issues, on a couple of days, but I can always check the cell-phone or blackberry to be certain of the time.

• You Will Need Reliable Watchmaker / Mechanic: Like a vintage car owner, you will be happy when you have a reliable, trustworthy mechanic. If your mechanic quits or moves out of town, or retires, you may be miserable. Put yourself in the hands of a good watchmaker, and you will have reliable watches (and a good friend)

• I Prefer the Vintage Guys: There are re-issues and modern watches that are collectible and can be expected to increase in value over time (or at least hold their value). But I believe that these are the exceptions, rather than the prevailing expectation. The Carrera re-issues, and some of the Monacos, seem to be destined for collectible status. They are well-made, and draw on the design and spirit of the original watches.

• We Should Forgive the Modern Brands: While we might wish that every modern Carrera looked like a vintage Carrera, and that every Speedmaster had some connection with the original Speedys, we must realize that the modern brands are trying to sell watches (not memorialize their icons, for the sake of history). So Heuer may over-use the Carrera name [with watches that have very little to do with the Carrera]; Omega will do the same with Speedmaster; and Rolex continues to pump out Daytonas, in every shape, color and form. I will forgive the modern brands for this "misuse" of the prized names, at least if the underlying quality is good.

So there you have it: scattered thoughts about an interesting topic.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: i´m am newby in the Heuer-watches. (my dialy
: watch is SMP 300 auto)
: I´m planning on bying a Carrera, looks as a
: great watch to me, read te articles of Chuck
: (great!)
: The problem is wich one to get?
: I have seen a vintage, suppose late 60, black
: dial en 3 sub dials, cal 72 for 1650 euro en
: a 98 reissue (1998) for 1450 euro silver
: dial. Although I like the looks of the
: reissue more, it just seems not the real
: deal, if you know what I mean.
: Please some advise: what are the experiences
: with the vintage, can it be a daily wearer?
: How about the fake-feeling of the re issue?
: Thanks
: Ralph

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE