The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
You're Welcome...
In Response To: Many thanks!!!!!! ()

Many thanks!!!!!! Posted By: Ralph Date: 5/31/07 08:23 GMT

In Response To: SomeThoughts, from one who owns both... (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

Wow, first of all thank you all for your contributions, you seem like you really know your stuff, esp Chuck thanks for your answer.

No problem. You're welcome!

It seems indeed to be an interesting topic.

Certainly!

Let´s try to put your thoughts together

1. you can wear a vintage as a daily watch, but you have to find a good mechanic. It is likely that the Heuer vintage keeps its value or become more.

It's really hard to say... Nearly all Vintage Chronograph values have risen so far this year at a pretty steep rate. When values go up so quickly it makes me wonder if that trend is sustainable or if it might be a bubble ready to burst. However so far I haven't seen values drop on the Vintage models and it's quite probable that they will stay at or above current levels for the forseeable future.

2. The movement of the re -issue seems better,

I prefer it, I believe it to be. However the Valjoux 72 is a fine movement (Rolex used it in the Daytona for many years) in it's own right.

and can be fixed more easily due to the spare- speedy / Lem. parts, This is indeed a concern for me: what is the use and value of a cal 72 vintage that cant be fixed?

Thus far this hasn't been a problem. I mean I've heard rumors of Rolex owners buying less brand Valjoux 72's as sources of spare parts but those are just rumors. And there are plenty of Valjoux 72's available as close as eBay still at this time.

3. the overall opinion is that the re -issue is a good watch en by no means a fake (or a fake feal to it) TAG did a good job here

Yes, that's a fair assessment.

When I think of the Re-Edition the spiritual counterpart in the automotive world is the Mazda MX-5 Miata which has had said of it:

“The MX-5, as envisioned by its designers, is a small roadster with minimal necessary weight and mechanical complexity — technologically modern, but a direct descendant of the small British roadsters of the 1960s such as the Triumph Spitfire, Austin-Healey 3000, MG Midget and Lotus Elan.”

Mazda MX-5 Miata
Lotus Elan

The Mazda MX-5 Miata is the spiritual descendant of the Lotus Elan. It may not be British, but it stir's the soul and the heart the same way.

Pragmatically one could say: if the re-issue is a keeper (is it??)

I own “The Real Thing” and a couple of the re-editions and I'm not going to list any of mine for sale...

then it will become a vintage if you just wait long enough...but this a more a filosoficall item.

TAG-Heuer didn't make a huge number of the reissue models, so in time it will be avidly sought for as well.

I have one question, should the Carrera be on a perforated strap, for a more racy / sweaty feeling? what do you think/

Personal choice... The perf strap makes the Carrera's very sporty/racy and strongly harken back to the 1960's when nearly every sports car had a perforated steering wheel wrap. However, one could choose to dress up the Carrera by putting it on a non-perf strap.

With myself, since I have 8 1/8" [roughly 21cm] wrists, a strap that fits is my first concern then it's looks come into the picture.

Interesting discussion, good topic!

Hope this is useful...

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE