The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
That's the other side of the coin...

Re: SomeThoughts, from one who owns both... Posted By: allen st. john Date: 5/31/07 10:26 GMT

In Response To: SomeThoughts, from one who owns both... (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

Sir Charles

Hardly, I'm an american mutt, a long long way from peerage.

Interestng comments as always.

Thank you! I try...

FWIW, it seems like this is the perfect place to trot out Memphis Raines in the Ferrari dealer from Gone in 60 Seconds.

That, of course, is the other side of the Vintage Vs. Re-Issue discussion isn't it?

Where he compares the 360 Modena that he finds in front of Starbucks to the 4 cam 275GTB that will make velvet ropes part and champagne flow from the heavens.

Yup...

I still consider my 861 Speedmaster is a vintage piece, albeit one that's still in production in some form. Although if I were buying back in the day when a 321 and an 861 were roughly comparable in price, I would have bought the 321) I may be a poseur and a weenie, but not because I wear an 861 Speedy (24/7 every single day BTW)

And I don't really see purchasers of recent production Speedmaster Moonwatches as poseurs or weenies, I really don't. Their heart is in the right place. And it's probably a more practical choice for many. But the fellows who take the time and decide that they want a 105.002 or a Pre-Pro 105.012 and take the time to learn how to discern a proper original example from one that's a parts replica... They are the lifer's the enthusiasts, the connoisseur, the guys you want to swap tales with over dinner. I mean after all, who do you think would have better stories? A.J Foyt Jr. (4-time Indy winner) or A.J. Foyt IV?

But while I think that some of the TAG Heuer reissues are nice watches, they're not classic like an old Carrera.

I think that some of the TAG-Heuer reissues are nice watches as well.

The first generation manual wind Carrera Re-Edition is in my opinion the "Alpha Male" of the Classic's line. It was and remains what TAG-Heuer SHOULD be doing with all of the Classic re-issues. Not like what they've done with the Monza's and some of the other "Re-Edition" models.

Personally, I'd much rather TAG-Heuer had followed the Carrera Re-Edition with other similar re-editions that were much closer in appearance and spirit to the original models rather than the "retro-Styled" pieces they have trotted out.

The vintage watch is much cooler, not too much more expensive to buy, and cheaper to own both in the short run (buy a new TAG today and try and sell it tomorrow) and the long run (I fully expect that if you hold on to a nice vintage carrera, you'll be able to buy a small fleet of reissues in five years)

The real problem is finding a very good to better quality original at a reasonable price these days. The biggest problem is finding them, not buying them. On the other hand the Re-Editions are not as difficult to purchase. And of course a 40 year old watch will appreciate in value faster than a eight to ten year old watch.

Two requests, Mr. Maddox.

1) repost that Memphis Raines essay. It's very very good.

You didn't say please, but you did request... Hmmm...
Opinion-Editorial: New or Vintage?
Done...

That's the other side of the argument.

A way I would equate this in the modern automotive world... Let's say you're on the main drag in your home town and a modern Jaguar XK8 drives by. Ok, it's a nice car and all, but... Now imagine if a 1960's Jaguar XKE in BRG [British Racing Green] with the clear headlight covers, Wire-Wheels w/Knock-Off hubs, Right-Hand-Drive in either 4.2l or V12 trim drives by... It doesn't really matter if it's a Coupe or Roadster you stop what you're doing and you GAWK... When it finally disappears out of sight, and you snap yourself out of your trance you try to move on, only to find that your stepping on your tongue.

The new ones are nice, nothing wrong with them. But it's the original ones that the collectors typically fuss about. Them being impractical and all the other baggage as well.

2) Sell me your Siffert Autavia cheap, In about 50 years it'll be impossible to find parts for it.

A couple of problems... I really don't own a true Siffert Autavia... The 7736 model is certainly Siffert-styled, but it's not the same movement as the "real" Siffert. And as Jeff has pointed out the only real Siffert is the model that Mr. Siffert actually wore which is the Chronomatic dialed one. And my example isn't one of those.

And knowing you to be the discerning collector you are, I know you wouldn't be satisfied with either. Oh, maybe you'd be happy with either one for a while. Maybe a day, or a week, possibly even as long as a month, but at some point thereafter, you'd tire of them and would be unhappy and I simply wouldn't want to do that to you.

(You can't blame a guy for trying.)

Some of us less discerning collectors will take in the under appreciated "near" models under their wings and give them the love and respect they deserve!

[tongue firmly in cheek]
[How often do you get two tongues [Three now sir!] Three in one post?]
[wiggles eyebrows...]

best

Allen

Cheers!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE