The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Questions Carrera 12 Gold
In Response To: Re: Questions Carrera 12 Gold ()

Hi Tobias.

I think Tag-Heuer are getting themselves confused a bit here.

The 2447 Carrera 12s use a manual-wind Valjoux 72 movement. (Carrera 12 because of the 12 hour register at 6 o'clock, whereas the watch I'm wearing is a Carrera 45 Dato because it has a 45 minute register at 3 o'clock).

Tag-Heuer are often a bit shaky on the Heuer history. Take a look at the catalogues section on Jeff's OnTheDash site, and look at the second page of the '66 brochure to see that Carrera 12 is absolutely the correct name for your watch. In fact, look closely at the references there and you'll see that there is a gold-plated model with a steel caseback, ref 2448 S. Sounds precisely like your watch, and I think this may have been one of the numbers you gave in your original post?

The person you spoke to is probably referring to the Calibre 12 automatic movement used in later Carreras (and various Breitlings, Hamiltons, Bürens etc etc).

So, it's absolutely correct that your watch is manual wind.

Hope that info helps a bit more!

Mark

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE