The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Excellent. My favourite is... *PIC*
In Response To: Excellent. My favourite is... ()

Shaun
I would put a minor caveat--it's my favorite Ferrari with a Heuer logo. My all time fave has got to be the shark nose 156, in which Phil Hill became the first American World Champion.

This reminded me of the absolutely crazy 1976 F1 season in which the winners of two races were dq'd after the fact (James Hunt once, Lauda once), and then Lauda's horrific accident at the Nurburgring and his remarkable comeback.

And leading the championship coming into the last race in Japan, started in a horrendous downpour, the Super Rat pulls into the pits after two laps and gets out of the car saying "my life is more important than a title."

For his part, Hunt had to pass two drivers--including Lauda's teammate Clay Reggazoni--on the last lap to win the title.
Andretti won the race in a Lotus.

Barring this Perfect Storm of misfortune, Lauda would have become the first back to back champion since Jack Brabham in 59-60, and likely the first three timer since Fangio.

(One could argue that Lauda got payback in 1984 when he beat Prost by half a point, after Monaco was stopped before the halfway point and Prost could only earn 4.5 points.)

Anyway, did anyone see the Robert Kubica crash in Canada? Back in the day, he would have been dead three times. Today, a sprained ankle and a mild concussion. Technology is good.

best
Allen

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE