The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
NOT a working clone, as it doesn't accurately...

Working Lemania Chrono Clone *LINK* Posted By: Lyle Simons Date: 6/26/07 20:08 GMT

It was interesting to see (but not surprising) that there is a working manual chrono movement being sold in Chinese knockoffs.

I'd argue that this particular example is NOT a working clone and I also wouldn't agree that it's a "perfect clone".

Why am I being argumentitive? Why to educate.

For me it's not a working clone because it doesn't accurately emulate a Valjoux 72 [or Lemania 2310/2320 or 1873 for the matter].

Take a gander at the hour register. Why is it not zeroed when the chronograph isn't in operation? Because it's slaved to the hour hand. It's not so much a chronograph hour register but a redundant hour hand.

Doesn't the Rolex Daytona in this link use the same Lemania designed movement as the Carerra re-issue?

Originally the Rolex Daytona's used a variant of the Valjoux 72 (used in the Carrera) called the v.722 or c.727...

Valjoux 72 Family of Chronograph Movements:
Movement #:

Description:

Large 15 Ligne version of Valjoux 72 (13 Ligne or just under)

Basic ‘Plain Jane’ Valjoux 72.

"Seafarer" Tides complication in 9 o'clock sub-dial...

Rolex variant with Breguet Overcoil & MicroStella Balance

72c/723

Tri-Date non-moonphase v.72

GMT complication

I've never seen a movement marked 725, probably skipped.

Improved v.72 movement.

Rolex version of 726 with Bruget Overcoil & MicroStella*

1 Register/Center Pinion Chrono Minute hand varitant.

GMT, probably v.726 with GMT complicaton added.

Another Triple-Date model, perhaps DDM v.726?

Triple-Date Moonphase model (v.723/72c with Moonphase)

* Note: The posting of Kohei's scan of the GP is something that throws a monkey wrench into my theory of the v.727 being a Rolex Exclusive movement. Thus I think there is more to this movement than I know at this time.

For more on the Valjoux 72 family, please view the following entries in my blog:

valjoux-72-chrono-family-discussion

martin-adds-to-our-valjoux-72

The late-model Monaco knock off's from this company have working automatic chrono's also. I wonder how long it will be before they decide it's profitable to re-pop the vintage McQueen Monaco's that are pushing $10k.

Probably soon I'd expect. These folks aren't going to let the opportunity at some easy money get away easily.

Re: Working Lemania Chrono Clone Posted By: allen st. john Date: 6/26/07 23:23 GMT

In Response To: Working Lemania Chrono Clone *LINK* (Lyle Simons)

My gosh. That's scary.

No, it's not.

Not really... For we can spot these VERY easily, and avoid them.

When it actually get's scary is when these crooks realize that if they used a knock off of the Valjoux 7753 movement, which is Tri-Compax:

and can easily be adapted to be manual wind only...

Those would be nearly impossible to detect unless one were to crack the case and take a look at the movement.

I'm not a Rolex guy by any means but that's a pretty convincing knock off for $228--probably the price of the crown on a real Daytona?

Only if one misses the glaring error in the hour sub-dial.

Doesn't seem to have hurt the market for the real ones much, though.

allen

Nope, not at all.
-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE