The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: One More Question
In Response To: One More Question ()

:
: Bruce: Since you are sharing your secrets, how
: about one more question. What was the
: lighting for the photo -- strobe or
: continuous source??

: For the next scan day, all of us will be
: running out to buy the Nikon d1x and a
: similar lighting set-up!!

: Thanks again,

: Jeff

:
: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
:

hi jeff

lighting was by flash. the lighting equipment was made by a now defunct english company called Strobe. the Cortina is lit with 2 lights. the primary light is a 5 foot long strip (that looks similar to an old 5' office strip light) and the secondary is a light called a swimming pool which is a 5' by 4' area light thats rigged on something similar to a ships mast ( i understand lord strobe was a keen sailor )

whilst expensive when new ( and some of this kit is celebrating it's 50th birthday ) all of this kit was dumped at the side of various roads.

most photographers have modern swiss Elinchrom or Bron equipment, and indeed i have a pile of microprocessor controled Elinca lighting packed away in the store room. whilst portable, the lighting quality is poor, the kit unreliable (and usually in spetacular fashion) power is weedy and the frequent repairs stupidly expensive. i understand Bron is no better and costs even more than the Elinca.

Anyway the high voltage with high ampage and elecromecanical nature of the Strope kit is very satisfying, it clicks and whirs in suitably menacing fashion and it's reputation for killing photographers ensures assistants treat it with great respect.

due to the Commonwealth connections between the UK and Canada i believe much Strobe equipment was exported there, so perhaps some made it to the US, though i'm not sure how 110V would power it as it uses a 250V 16Amp outlet.

bet your sorry you asked now....

bruce

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE