The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: LWO 283
In Response To: LWO 283 *PIC* ()

Can anyone tell me a little about the LWO 283 movement?
?
?

Jarl
Here are some clippings I made a few years while researching the same topic. I hope they can give you some help.
David
The Dubois-Depraz chronograph module is used by a number of watch manufacturers in their "high end" products. It is utilized by among others, Audermars Piguet in their Royal Oak Offshore and Glashütte Chronograph and in their Royal Oak Offshore Chronograph, Girard Perregaux in their 7000 Chronograph (pictured below) and by Baume-et-Mercier in their Classic Chrono. Baume-et-Mercier refer to the movement both as a Lemania 283 and a B&M caliber 13283. The 30mm diametre of the movement has been widened from the standard 2892s 25,6 mm, so it is the exact same size as the Valjoux 7750. When introduced to the market, this caliber was marketed as a Lemania 283 A movement, the only movement Lemania ever marketed without producing it themselves. It is now formally a Dubois-Depraz caliber, and marketed as such.

The lemania 283 movement has the following technical specifications;- Friction Protection: 40 Jewels, Power reserve: 42 hours, Diameter: 30.00mm, Thickness: 6.50mm. Because the base ETA 2892 movement (which is recognised for it's accuracy and durability), operating at 28,800 pulsations/hour is using a Glucodur quality balance and an Nivarox #1 Hairspring the end result is one of the most reliable automatic movements on the market. One of the unusual things about the Lemania movement is that the date optic is part of the movement. It magnifies the date without the need for an unsightly bulge on the crystal or the distortion of the underside crystal optics.

The 40 jewel Lemania 283. This movement is based on an ETA 2892 with a Dubois Depraz Chronograph module which was developed by Dubois Depraz for Audemars Piguet. The same Lemania movement is used in chronographs, like the Girard Perregaux 280 and the Paul Picot Chrono. The Dubois Depraz chrono module is used in the Audermars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore and Glashütte Chronograph. The difference being that to acquire those models you would need to spend anywhere from $7000 to $20.000. It has been said that module-type chronograph calibres have some disadvantages against movements where the chronograph mechanics are fully integrated. It seems that they require a lot more disassembling when being repaired,

Heuer/TAG-Heuer's with the LWO 283 movement which feature an ETA 2890 or ETA 2892 base timekeeping movement with a Lemania made piggyback chronograph movement. I've found the LWO's are excellent performers and I like them even though their subdial's have a different layout than the Lemania 7750.

Just an old ad from 1964 for flavor. Note the new style of chronograph for men of action. We don't need no stinkin couch potatoes here.

Messages In This Thread

LWO 283 *PIC*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE