The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
A Confession / A Crisis / A Quest

OK, my friends, this morning I come to you with a confession. For the last few days, I have been wearing a Rolex Explorer, Reference 6610 (shown below), and I must tell you that I absolutely love the thing. I received this sample from a dealer, on approval, and will not be keeping this one, but I have begun the search to find the perfect one. Shown below is the message that I have posted on TimeZone and that I plan to send to every vintage Rolex dealer, anywhere in the world, who has an e-mail account.

So as we have discussed the "Devos Conundrum" [trading away several amazing Heuers for one or two amazing Rolexes / how to simplify our collecting], I wanted you guys to be aware of this development. Indeed, I do not want to be accused of "sneaking around" the vintage Rolex world, but confess to this new passion, and hope to receive the support / sympathy of all my OnTheDash -- Chronocentric friends. Are any of you guys experiencing anything similar? Could this have been avoided if Heuer had made some nice "three-hand" watches in the mid-1950's? Will the Cosmograph / Daytona be next?

And another question -- is this Explorer the basis for the design of our beloved Master Time (early version / 3-6-9-12 on the dial)?

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Want to Buy -- Rolex Explorer / Gilt / Earlier Version Preferred

I would like to buy a Gilt Rolex Explorer, along the following lines:

• prefer earliest model possible -- 6350 or 6610, but will also consider 5504 through 1016
  • condition must be mint or near mint . . . as close to perfect as possible
  • dial must be untouched -- no re-lume, re-touch, re-finish, re-paint, re-store or re-anything
  • light wear to case will be fine
  • must be absolutely authentic and original, with no doubts / no questions
  • no need for box or papers, but will pay premium if you have them and will be interesting to know ownership history (one owner, date of original purchase, etc.)
Willing to endure a long search for the best available watch; also willing to pay absolute Top Dollar to buy one today.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE