The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Exception that proves the rule?

A Confession / A Crisis / A Quest Posted By: jeff stein Date: 9/6/07 13:24GMT

OK, my friends, this morning I come to you with a confession. For the last few days, I have been wearing a Rolex Explorer, Reference 6610 (shown below),

and I must tell you that I absolutely love the thing. I received this sample from a dealer, on approval, and will not be keeping this one, but I have begun the search to find the perfect one. Shown below [I've excluded copying this portion for brevity -- Chuck] is the message that I have posted on TimeZone and that I plan to send to every vintage Rolex dealer, anywhere in the world, who has an e-mailaccount.

So as we have discussed the "Devos Conundrum" [trading away several amazing Heuers for one or two amazing Rolexes / how to simplify our collecting], I wanted you guys to be aware of this development. Indeed, I do not want to be accused of "sneaking around" the vintage Rolex world, but confess to this new passion, and hope to receive the support / sympathy of all my OnTheDash -- Chronocentric friends. Are any of you guys experiencing anything similar? Could this have been avoided if Heuer had made some nice "three-hand" watches in the mid-1950's? Willthe Cosmograph / Daytona be next?

Jeff...

A three hand watch with no bezel? You will quickly tire if it. Yes, we all buy one or two of these so we have "the exception that proves the rule" or "the token representative and the obligatory second" but I doubt you'll be selling off your collection any time soon, David's Syndrome not withstanding...

And another question -- is this Explorer the basis for the design of our beloved Master Time (early version /3-6-9-12 on the dial)?

Jeff

I once said "I'll never own a Tudor watch because they have a reputation of being a "Poor-Man's Rolex"". All that ad-hoc statement did was disuade me from looking for a couple of years at some pretty cool watches. The Bottom line. I've bought a pair of them, and while I occasionally look for and even bid on other Tudor's I haven't sold my collection in the quest.

I don't have an anser for your Master-Time question, but I wouldn't worry about your dumping your collection in favor of chasing "Double Red Dwellers".

-- Chuck

ChuckMaddox

(Articleindex @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like many things inlife, only improve with age…

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE