The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
A modestly difficult choice but I'd choose...

talking of grails...what would you choose *PIC* Posted By: dathan Date: 9/8/07 14:29 GMT

Here are two of my personal grail watches, recently acquired!!

Some of you may recognise this special Dato and thanks to the previous owner for letting me own it - if the normal carerra 12 is known as the grail what does this make the dato I have only seen one in the last 5 years!

Why do I get the feeling you bought this one from the same fellow I was going to buy one from a couple of years back? Did you buy it from Michael?

Hope your not offended by the rolex (horror) and its relatively modern (aaargh) but I like these zenith daytonas and the dial is much more elegant than the current model- and theyre getting collectible now..

Truth be told, of the modern/recent Rolex Daytona's this is the model I would personally choose to purchase, and not the Black Dial or the current one. Why? Well, Although I have heard nothing but good reports about the new Rolex Based movement [after they fixed the initial hiccups they had with the "Daytona Beach" ladies models], I prefer the sub-dial treatment on the Zenith based model and I like the El-Primero movement. If fact, were I to choose the Rolex's I'd like to own... Here is a sort of shopping list:
I'd like an example of # 2, 4, 5, 6 and a black dial example of number 2 as well. Those would be the five I'd love to own. Picture is of SteveS in NJ spread of Daytona's from over in the TZ Rolex forum from a couple of years back. He may well have added to his spread since then.

I havent posted for a while as I have been busy with family etc but I always have a look in..

I too have been busy beyond belief but I hope to be able to spend more time here and at Chronocentric in the comming weeks.

By the way which would you choose I know whats my favourite and it doesnt begin with r and end in x!!

Well, I'd love to own either, as both are actually on my wish list. If I could only have one, I think I'd go with the Heuer because while I do have a DDM Heuer (all white) and a Gold DDMMoonphase, I've always liked the "Panda" Colors. I also imagine even in today's market the Heuer would probably be more affordable, but probably harder to source a good example of. You know how to contact me if you ever consider selling your example Dathan!

Wear both in good health [either at the same time or in rotation]!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Messages In This Thread

talking of grails...what would you choose *PIC*
A modestly difficult choice but I'd choose...
I would go, 2-3-5
I'll Go with the Home Team
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE