The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Two Very Different Watches

Sometimes, when I look at the small airplanes (say, the single-engine propeller planes) it strikes me as very strange that these are of the same category (airplanes) as the big ones (say, the 737's and 767's). Similarly, when I look at a small boat, it's often strange to think that this is the same basic "thing" as the QE2 or an aircraft carrier. I also wonder about the different experiences of piloting the small Cessna and piloting the much larger 767. Are these really the same experiences or are they very different? The feel of flying, versus the very high-tech video game?

So now, I look at these two watches, and it seems strange that they are parts of this same category -- vintage machanical watches. Everything is different -- the look; the size; functions; materials; age; price; etc. But a fantastic part of this collecting hobby is that we can enjoy different "looks" and "feels", depending on the situation and our moods. Monday was the blue shirt, sports coat . . . and for some reason, based on the day's agenda and mood, the big, fat, black chrono felt perfect. Tuesday, the cuff was much smaller and the mood was different, so "less" watch felt better.

I think it's also important, as collectors, to allow oursleves to go different directions with our pursuits. As a Heuer collector, the Sinn is a very natural watch to want -- Bundeswehr case; legendary 5100 movement; one of the ultimate tool watches . . . it's an obvious part of the collection. The "H. Stone" watch is an oddity, but here's how I got to it:

• doing some research on the history of the Caliber 12's,
  • I began reading about the Buren movements, and
  • was impressed by their reputation for quality, and
  • their small size, so
  • I began doing ebay searches, and
  • spotted this little watch, which looks very pretty, to me, and
  • my mother was from Leeds and my father was "H. Stein" (or "H. Stone", if the German is translated), so
  • I bought it for just around $100, and
  • have enjoyed it ever since!!

So maybe the real message here is that even for the long-time, committed collectors, even those who may focus on a particular brand or category of watches, it's sometimes refreshing to get off the usual path, and see where our interests (and aesthetic preferences) may take us. Leeds, England, circa 1940, is not where I expected to end up, but wearing this little watch on Tuesday, with its neat Buren movement below the surface, was a nice part of my day.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE