The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
when is a good deal not a good deal

when is a good deal not a good deal.

some background -
I'm a bit of a smalltime Heuer enthusiast and have passively followed and admired this site for some time now.
Indeed I've purchased several items from some of the more well known members over the last few years.
I've been on the lookout for a 2nd siffert for a while now - as i have twin boys i like to get 2 of most watches :-)
Anyway, I had my eye on one for sale by one of the OTD stalwarts for a few months but unfortunately someone tried to steel my car just when I'd got the cash together and the damage caused put the siffert purchase on the backburner.

I thought I'd share a recent experience with you.
Yesterday I noticed a posting on the chronotrader sales page with a link to a siffert for sale on a popular Swiss auction site.
Well it wasn't too expensive so I hit the buy-it-now.
I expected a heavy shipping cost to the UK + taxes but didn't reckon on the vendor adding 375 swiss francs (£160) for his own time to pack the item which he calculated would take 2.5 hours @ his rate of 150 swiss francs (£64/hour).
His words - 'CHF 150.-- per hour is the standard rate for my work to eprfoem this job'
I even offered to arrange full shipping service from this end which would mean all he had to do was hand the item to the courier who would pack it and ship it but he seemed determined that he wanted to charge for his handling of the item.
Is this common?
I suspected the guy must have got a better offer he felt that he couldn't refuse.
Possibly the case as he kept asking if I wanted to cancel.
Or, am I just too naive and there are people out there who feel it necessary to charge 2.5 hours at 64 quid an hour to pack a watch up?

I've since forwarded all correspondence to the auction site who agree that this is excessive but maintain they can't intervene with shipping charges.

So, I've kind of had my fingers burned but fortunately it hasn't cost me anything more than time (appropriate for a watch enthusiasts forum:-)
I should have confirmed the shipping before bidding but got too excited when I saw the low buy-it-now price.

Thankfully all of my dealings with regular OTD members have been great so far.

Rant over.
(and, still saving up for another siffert), Andrew.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE