The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Unfortunately, There Isn't Much

One of the unfortunate aspects of dealing with auctions across international borders is that the parties rely in the auction and payment sites internal mechanisms for protection. Other than posting about it to warn others, there are few other options.

It doesn't matter what the legalities are, since you can't sue a German seller in the United States and it's impractical to sue in Germany. If the auction site won't help, then game over. As an attorney, my advice would be to put it behind you if Rolf won't be reasonable. Of course, Jeff may differ, in which case I defer.

I too was interested in that Siffert, as I have been looking for one (only 1 son) for a while. But I wasn't comfortable with the auction site since my German/French was a little too rusty to understand what was being said, and as much as I liked the watch, the potential for misunderstanding was far too great.

As for the ridiculously high packing costs, you probably nailed the problem. I'm sorry to hear that Rolf basically screwed you, and sorrier still to say that there's little you can do (except to let the rest of us know not to do business with Rolf or that auction site). Perhaps Rolf will reconsider if he learns that his actions are condemned by others here and that no one will buy from him if he tries to gouge like this.

Scott

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE