The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Here are translations for six languages...
In Response To: Re: Question re language? ()

In case anyone is interested... Here are translations for six different languages...

Day wheel language translations...
Written by Chuck Maddox on 16 April 1999,
Revised 7 December 2007, certain rights reserved.
Being a collector of complicated chronographs, Lemania 5100 and Valjoux 7750 powered chronographs, in particular but also early Citizen and Seiko movements, it was almost assured that sooner or later I would pick up a watch that had a non-english Day wheel installed. Most of these watches I have converted to the English day wheel, however if you happen to have a watch with a wheel in a language that you are not fluent with the following table may prove useful to you. At least until you get the wheel changed to the language of your choice.

English:

French:

German:

Italian:

Portugese:

Spanish:

Unique Day?:

Sunday

Dimanche

Sonntag

Domenica

Domingo

Domingo

No

Monday

Lundi

Montag

Luned

Segunda-feira

Lunes

No

Tuesday

Mardi

Dienstag

Marted

Tera-feira

Martes

No

Wednesday

Mercredi

Mittwoch

Mercoled

Quarta-feira

Mircoles

No

Thursday

Jeudi

Donnerstag

Gioved

Quinta-feira

Jueves

Yes

Friday

Vendredi

Freitag

Venerd

Sexta-feira

Viernes

No

Saturday

Samedi

Samstag

Sabato

Sabado

Sabado

No
These languages seem to be the most common ones used. Typically the first three letters are used as an abbreviation of the date. Sometimes this is useful to determine the inital market the watch in question was intended for...
Unique Day?: The easiest way to determine which language day-wheel is installed in your watch is to advance the date so that it is set to Thursday [or Jeudi, Donnerstag, Gioved, Quinta-Feira or Jueves]... Because each of these six languages has a unique name abbreviation for that day of the week whichever abbreviation is used will identify which specific language the day wheel is in.

I hope you find this useful!

--Chuck

Messages In This Thread

The A.M.I. that Got Away
Re: Question re language?
Re: Question re language?
Here are translations for six languages...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE