The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Bee's Knees...Modern & Quartz!?!?!? (The Horror!!)

Before you lynch me for treason, heresy, witchcraft or a combination of all three...at least it's a Speedmaster.

I flip-flopped on this one a fair bit and ended up taking the leap last weak. An E-bay seller had listed it as a "Speedmaster Missions" instead of a "Speedmaster X-33" and had a VERY reasonable price. So I pressed the button and hoped for the best...fast forward a couple of days and the mailman arrives with a very clean generation 1 X-33, boxes, papers, warranty card, owners manual, original brochure circa 1998, etc.

So, why the "Bee's Knee's"? Well, like most modern quartz watches it will do everything but find your socks...and there may be a button for that I haven't found yet. It's a titanium case, so it's big but light and comfy.

I also like the ultramodern styling, which is in stark contrast to the rest of my collection. For those of you that have seen the Tom Cruise movie Minority Report, you'll notice that his "futuristic watch" is an X-33 with a computer generated dial. (Although it also had a BVLGARI logo that apparently resulted in a lawsuit.)

The final and most important part...it's an Omega Speedmaster Professional. It's certified for space flight and has become a staple of astronauts around the world. In studying recent pictures of the ISS, I have seen 6 X-33's in one shot.

Is is the Ultimate Tool Watch? Well, that's arguable.

Is is the Bee's Knees's? Definitely!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE