The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I mean, why should James Dowling have all the fun?

The Man who Launched a Thousand Quests Posted By: shaun Date: 12/9/07 20:18:20 GMT

In Response To: Hi Shaun, I believe it is, and this model... (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

Thanks Chuck,

It's great to have a response from you as when I was doing some research on this watch before buying it was your comments on rarity recorded in some forum somewhere on the web which played a big part in "tipping me over the edge".

I have long been pointed to as a factor, often the last or most significant factor when people do go over the edge.

Actually, I do have the original bracelet, and I know people will think it is heresy,

Don't mind me [as he stacks wood and kindling at the base of a wooden pole set in the ground]... Lighter [flick, flick] Check!

but I prefer it on the leather strap at the moment, it defines the case shape more, the bracelet overwhelms it to some extent. Obviously I'll keep the bracelet as they are meant to go together.

To each his own I guess.

So after the Grail post, and this one, and many others, Chuck, I was wondering if you and Jeff feel guilty for being responsible for causing people to spend probably hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions (250 people x $4k...quite likely), on vintage watches?

While I have long stated over on the TimeZone Omega Forum that I was the most responsible person who participated there... The person responsible for more strained marriages, broken homes, looted bank accounts, smashed children's piggy banks... But guilty feelings??? Nah, not really, I mean why should James Dowling have all the fun?

I guess the truth is is more saving people hundreds of thousands of dollars from purchasing mistakes like the Antiquorum Monaco (lets not just blame Antiquorum, there are many, many dealers out there offering poor frankens).

The local all news AM radion station in Chicago, WBBM AM 780 runs spots from a guy who gives gambling tips from time to time. Lik his commericals say "We don't advocate gambling, but if you do gamble, know what the best odds are for a favorable return".

It's something like that.

So I guess what I was trying to say is thanks....

Oh! You're welcome! =)
-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Messages In This Thread

another bee's knees... *PIC*
Hi Shaun, I believe it is, and this model...
The Man who Launched a Thousand Quests
I mean, why should James Dowling have all the fun?
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE