The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: So Can I Have the Seiko-ish White Gold Omega ?

: So if these two will "keep you
: covered", maybe you can spare me the
: white gold Omega that I admired at our last
: breakfast . . . you know, the one that I
: admired as being quiet and common enough
: looking to pass as a Seiko? Can you show our
: readers that beauty?

: Jeff

Thanks for the compliments, Jeff. I'll be happy to share.

A common movement of uncommon quality,
in a common case design of uncommon metal,
with a common style dial of uncommon material and language,
on a common style but uncommonly executed bracelet,
adds up to a "stealth watch" of sorts.

It was also difficult to light properly and may have been the watch I spent more time trying to photograph than any other.

It could "be a bee knee", but the Grand Luxe takes the title of time only watch. It was close.

In this era (1968), Seamasters rarely had chronometer movements, those being reserved for Constellations. Quick set day-date movements were a new development. This watch has the chronometer day-date variant of the classic Omega chronometers of the 1960s (the 561s and 564s), calibre 751.

The case design was simple, with both polished and brushed areas and a screw down case back. But what is not obvious is that the case is 18k white gold.

The dial design is common, but it appears dark and textured compared to the typical silvered white dial. It is a textured 18k white gold. the German day wheel makes me learn something every time I wear it.

Photo courtesy of Bill Sohne, a comparison to a typically dialed stainless steel Seamaster day-date with a silvered white dial.

The bracelet is also 18k white gold, with a surprise of its own.

Yep, it is an 18k white gold expansion bracelet! The buckle style is one I have never seen on another Omega.

White gold looks much like stainless steel unless they are side by side. Look at this comparison of this bracelet and a modern Speedmaster stainless steel bracelet.

Whose would ever suspect all of this in this innocent looking watch? (Seiko-ish? Jeff, that hurts a little!!) But point taken, it is "quiet and common enough looking" to pass without notice. Would you give it a second glance?

Rather than sparing this watch for you, Jeff, I think I will just keep it around "as a spare".

You know, yellow gold might go out of fashion or something . . . .

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE