The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Received my father's Heuer Camaro *PIC*

Hello,

I am new here. I think my story is als a bit of an introduction of my person. I collect mechanical wristwatches in general, but my main fields of interest are chronographs in general, Omega, Tudor and Rolex. Heuer too has always been a favourite of mine, but did not own one myself until now. My girlfriend has a vintage Heuer 200 quartz diver, a mop Tag Heuer aquaracer ladies quartz and an blue Tag Heuer aquaracer automatic.

So here is my christmas story:

When I think back, my fasination for wristwatches probably started when my father bought his Heuer Camaro ref 7220 in 1974. I was six years old at that time and I could not take my eyes off that watch.

As I realy got into watches a few years ago, I ofcourse asked my father about his Heuer. He had worn it daily well into the eighties, but lost interest as it fogged up regularly and was not as accurate as his newly aquired Seiko quartz. He wore it ocasionally but always was put of by the fogging up.

When I told him a few years ago that these Heuers had become quite collectible and that it was woth it to have it restored or atleast have it serviced, he thought that it wasn't worth it, so it lay in a drawer.

When we discussed this watch again on Christmas eve, he gave it to me. I can not tell how proud I am having my dad's Heuer.

The Valjoux 72 movement apears to be fairly accurate after not having received a service since somewhere in the end of the 70ties. The moist seems not to have affected the movement.

However, the dial shows corrosion on the minute track due to the fogging up. As this is the rarest dial colour (silver with black subdials), it will be close to impossible too find a NOS or even used replacement.

The case shows wear, but nothing to harsch. I only cleaned it and pollished the crystal. I did not pollish the case because of the sharp edges and the radial brushing. This should be done professionally I think.

The strap was terrible and I fitted a Kaufmann rally strap. Appart from the dial the watch looks like it should now. However, I will have the movement serviced and the gaskets replaced.

Does any member have any experience in restoring / servicing a vintage Heuer. Does Tag Heuer offer this service like Omega?

I do not hink I would like a redial, so if anyone can help me source an original Camaro dial, I would be very gratefull. Any colour is fine.

Well, after having bored you to death with my story, here is a quick and dirtie:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE