The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Chuck REBOOTED: Chuck's thoughts in a more concise form...

Re: OTD -- 5th Anniversary / Feb. 12th / Scan or C Posted By: Babin Jean-Christophe <[email address removed]> Date: 2/7/08 06:35:30 GMT

In Response To: OTD -- 5th Anniversary / Feb. 12th / Scan or Chat (jeff stein)

Dear fans of onthedash.

Happy birthday to this fantastic website and Heuer vintage forum.

As CEO of TAG Heuer I'm amazed by the passion filtering from the discussions as well as the documentation gathered by onthedash. 5 years ago I had been only 2 years in business with TAG Heuer and we then spent a great deal of time exploring our past with Jack Heuer to identify and capture those glorious pieces of our history which could have been re-edited. We came then with the Autavia Chrono for which we re-developped with Dubois-Depraz a module allowing to position the hour crown at 9:00 like was the Calibre 11 and 12. We also introduced the Targa Florio which was derived from an aviator watch from the 40's. Now we are ouselves approaching our 150 th anniversary and plan to have a couple of re-editions. If any of you as any suggestions on the Heuer timpieces we could bring back to life for the occasion, I would be only happy and grateful.

In my haste and enthusiasm to provide context for my idea's and thoughts I threw concise and brevity straight out the window.

So for the sake of time and J-CB I present...

Chuck REBOOTED: The Concise version!

J-CB, It is awesome that you have opened the doors and are communicating directly with some of TAG-Heuer's biggest fans. I hope that we all are providing good feedback for you...

I have four specific ideas and a more general one [with some I agree with's at the end]...

Idea Number One: An El-Primero based Carrera Re-Edition.

The 1964 Heuer Carrera [Lemania 1873] Re-Edition is very popular amongst collectors and is a model that people seek out my assistance in locating quite frequently. I believe an El-Primero based model [either Automatic or manual wind version or both] would be very popular.

Idea Number Two: A Re-Edition based on the old Heuer Pasadena case style, 7750 powered.

This 1980's watch would translate and sell well in today's market. It's case style looks very modern to this day, updated with a Sapphire crystal I am confident it would sell well and require little effort on TAG-Heuer's part if the original tooling for the case still exists. I suggested some race track names as possibilities for it's "Rebooting" in the Classics line: Fontana, Sonoma, Laguna Seca [or just Laguna], Phoenix and Pocono...

Idea Number Three: Autavia 12 Re-Edition based on the El-Primero aimed at the moonwatch.

Back in the day, the Heuer Autavia 12 [above, in Valjoux 72 trim] was a natural competitor for the moonwatch [as shown below]:

A modern version of the Autavia 12 with an El-Primero base [either in automatic or HW versions] would be popular with both Vintage Heuer fans and Omega Speedmaster Owners looking for a similar [but not too similar watch] to their Moonwatch.

Idea number Four: A El-Primero based Chrono to compete head to head with Rolex Daytona.

The Rolex Daytona is one of the more avidly sought chronographs on the market... [How many watches have a one, two or three year waiting list?] TAG-Heuer is uniquely situated to produce a chronograph in the spirit of the Daytona using as it's base movement a movement which was used in the Daytona for many years.

There are all sorts of variations in style which one could choose to emulate. Talladega would an appropriate name for this model.

Additional ideas/Thoughts: Bring back the "Race Track/Circuit" model naming scheme... NASCAR is at a height of popularity here in the USA among both men and women. Some of the track names [Charlotte, Darlington for example] might even be appropriate names for Ladies models. I'm sure there are many other circuits in the world which could be marketable names for various watch models.

Alistair brought up the subject of PVD coated watches produced for the Military/Police markets...

I think that's a smashing idea... Black, Olive and/or Khaki PVD bracelets, cases and dials with optional nylon or canvas straps.

[Please ignore my el-cheapo Lucien Picot in the foreground, although a 7750 GMT based chronograph in PVD with a more appropriate dial color might sell too!]

In summary...

My apologies for the length and complexity of my initial post. I hope this post is much more to the point and easier to follow.

We here are passionate and enthusiastic about TAG-Heuer's heritage and the opportunities the firm has moving forward. I'm sure there are more ideas where these came from!

Thank you once again for taking the time to post here, read our thoughts and respond. This is a very rare and unique opportunity in the community.

Cheers and Best of Fortune in the days and years ahead!

Sincerely,

-- Chuck Maddox

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Messages In This Thread

OTD -- 5th Anniversary / Feb. 12th / Scan or Chat
Re: OTD -- 5th Anniversary / Feb. 12th / Scan or C
Kudos to Jeff and Welcome to Mr. Babin.
Re: Kudos to Jeff and Welcome to Mr. Babin.
As important as 12 Feb is, 10/11 March is moreso…
Re: OTD -- 5th Anniversary / Feb. 12th / Scan or C
Dear Mr Babin....
a question regarding tag heuer & the lemania5100
Re: a question regarding tag heuer & the lemania51
Swatch Group is not held in high esteem for that decision...
Welcome, M. Babin
2010 - Wish! *PIC*
Chuck REBOOTED: Chuck's thoughts in a more concise form...
Re: Chuck REBOOTED: Chuck's thoughts in a more con
PVD is certainly in the firm's blood!
I agree on PVD
Here are some more PVD Heuer Lots of Pics
TAG Heuer 2010
Re: TAG Heuer 2010
Re: TAG Heuer 2010
Bonjour Mr.Babin !!!
Re: Bonjour Mr.Babin !!!
Original Chronomatic...
If You Have Caliber 12 Movements, We Have Ideas !!
Terrific job Abel.
TAG-Heuer 2010: Rally-Master Pair & Black Monaco
Re: TAG-Heuer 2010: Rally-Master Pair & Black Mona
Welcome Jean-Christophe Welcome.
Re: Welcome Jean-Christophe Welcome.
My pleasure, Jean-Christophe
Greetings Jean-Christophe!! *PIC*
Re: Greetings Jean-Christophe!!
Welcome aboard Jean-Christophe
Re: Welcome aboard Jean-Christophe
Salut Jean-Christophe!
Re: Salut Jean-Christophe!
WOW! This ROCKS! Four Ideas & Additional Thoughts…
WOW!
TAG-Heuer 2010: Suggestions for Mr. Babin
Re: TAG-Heuer 2010: Suggestions for Mr. Babin
¿malign? I have to step in here and clarify...
Re: ¿malign? I have to step in here and clarify...
TAG-Heuer 2010: A Suggestion
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE