The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
If You Have Caliber 12 Movements, We Have Ideas !!
In Response To: Re: Bonjour Mr.Babin !!! ()

Jean-Christophe:

For many of us, the Caliber 12 / Chronomatic movement is the heart and soul of our collections. Yes, we admire the Valjoux 72 and 92 from the golden age; and, yes, the Lemania 5100 powers some strong, legible chronographs; but it the Caliber 11 / 12 / 14 / 15 is the motor for our beloved Autavias, Monacos, Silverstones, Carreras and Cortinas, among others.

So when -- referring to the Caliber 11 -- you use the phrase, "we have that movement running", I begin to get the e-mail messages, asking whether TAG-Heuer might have some of the original Caliber 11 / 12 movements, or whether it is the modern version Caliber 11 (as in the re-issue of the Autavia).

Let me show you a watch that I purchased in December 2007, and give you the quick version of the story. The watch is the Guinand Buren 12 Chronomatic, offered in a limited edition of 100 pieces. Helmut Sinn obtained approximately 200 of the original Caliber 12 movements some years ago. Working with Horst Hassler, at Mr. Sinn's new brand (Guinand), they designed the Buren 12 Chronomatic, with its display back to show this beautiful movement.

I purchased one of these chronographs, with the lucky serial number "11" . . . the first new chronograph that I have ever purchased. A few thoughts on the watch:

• This is a great looking watch. I wear a lot of watches over the course of a month or year, and can certify that this one draws as many "thumbs up" remarks as anything in my collection. It is big and purposeful looking . . . some cars look like they want to go fast (for example, the Porsche 928) . . . this watch looks like it is ready for action / built for the task!

• This chronograph is a perfect homage to the Caliber 12 movement. It is rock solid / built like a tank. Like the Caliber 12 movement itself, it is pragmatic and utilitarian. Not the classic design of the El Primero movement, and not the heritage of the legendary Valjoux 72, but to my eye, this watch is a perfect way to display the Caliber 12 movement.

• For me, it was a shame that TAG-Heuer did not go with this sort of design for the re-issue of the Autavia. For me, the defining characteristic if the Autavia is the rotating bezel, on a bullet-proof case, and this Guinand delivers on those elements. If Heuer had done something like this, offering the traditional black version and the beautiful white / blue "Siffert" version, I believe that it would have been a blow-out and built fantastic goodwill for the Autavia name. Yes, TAG-Heuer re-issued the Autavia in 2003, but many of the vintage guys wish that it had looked and acted more like this Guinand -- 12 hour capacity, with rotating bezel.

Maybe TAG-Heuer has some of the original Caliber 12 movements; maybe some could be assembled from the supply of spare parts; maybe the new version of the Caliber 11 is a worthy successor . . . in any case, I believe that the message from the community of vintage collectors is that this is a very special movement, in our Heritage / in our DNA. Any modern chronographs that use these movements, or any good homages to or recreations of this movement, will be well-received . . . by the vintage community and -- we believe -- by the broader market!!

A Chronomatic Monaco in Black PVD or titanium; a big, stout Autavia (military or diver version); a beautiful Carrera or Cortina . . . if you build it, we will buy it!!

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

OTD -- 5th Anniversary / Feb. 12th / Scan or Chat
Re: OTD -- 5th Anniversary / Feb. 12th / Scan or C
Kudos to Jeff and Welcome to Mr. Babin.
Re: Kudos to Jeff and Welcome to Mr. Babin.
As important as 12 Feb is, 10/11 March is moreso…
Re: OTD -- 5th Anniversary / Feb. 12th / Scan or C
Dear Mr Babin....
a question regarding tag heuer & the lemania5100
Re: a question regarding tag heuer & the lemania51
Swatch Group is not held in high esteem for that decision...
Welcome, M. Babin
2010 - Wish! *PIC*
Chuck REBOOTED: Chuck's thoughts in a more concise form...
Re: Chuck REBOOTED: Chuck's thoughts in a more con
PVD is certainly in the firm's blood!
I agree on PVD
Here are some more PVD Heuer Lots of Pics
TAG Heuer 2010
Re: TAG Heuer 2010
Re: TAG Heuer 2010
Bonjour Mr.Babin !!!
Re: Bonjour Mr.Babin !!!
Original Chronomatic...
If You Have Caliber 12 Movements, We Have Ideas !!
Terrific job Abel.
TAG-Heuer 2010: Rally-Master Pair & Black Monaco
Re: TAG-Heuer 2010: Rally-Master Pair & Black Mona
Welcome Jean-Christophe Welcome.
Re: Welcome Jean-Christophe Welcome.
My pleasure, Jean-Christophe
Greetings Jean-Christophe!! *PIC*
Re: Greetings Jean-Christophe!!
Welcome aboard Jean-Christophe
Re: Welcome aboard Jean-Christophe
Salut Jean-Christophe!
Re: Salut Jean-Christophe!
WOW! This ROCKS! Four Ideas & Additional Thoughts…
WOW!
TAG-Heuer 2010: Suggestions for Mr. Babin
Re: TAG-Heuer 2010: Suggestions for Mr. Babin
¿malign? I have to step in here and clarify...
Re: ¿malign? I have to step in here and clarify...
TAG-Heuer 2010: A Suggestion
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE