The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Correct... The DD Module is so tricky to work ... *LINK* *PIC*
In Response To: i'll take a crack at it.... ()

: i've heard that the d/d module was near
: impossible to work on or service. from what
: i've gathered even during warranty work, the
: module is replaced entirely with a new one.
: assuming what i heard is true, you can see
: the problem with this design long term.
: anyone more knowledgeable, feel free to
: correct my
: statement(s).

Correct... The DD Module is so tricky to work with that a complete replacement module costs about $150-160 and is a yank/replace job that most watchmakers will pitch the old module, and replace it with a completely new one (assuming they have one in stock or order one - delays) and that means your base repair bill is automatically $150 from the get go before the watchmaker puts in his time and anything else that needs to be done. Since many other movements: v.7750, l.5100, l.1873, v.72, etc. can be serviced for $150 in total, it makes for a more expensive repair bill.

For what it's worth, the Lemania module movement (aka LWO 283) which is used by Heuer in many older 2000 and Pilot's models, don't seem to have this servicing issue. They can be easily worked on and are a much better design by comparision.

I've written a bit on this in the form of the Omega Speedmaster Reduced in the article linked to below. Please feel free to post queries after reading it!

Cheers!

Chuck

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE