The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: physical vapor deposition...
In Response To: physical vapor deposition... ()

: i think of it like a plating of sorts. not sure
: as to the actual process involved, or what
: the actual material that is
: "plated" on is, anyway looks
: black. i've never owned one, so i have no
: idea what the advantage of it is. maybe
: Chuck/Jeff or someone with the details could
: elaborate a bit for us.

In looking at Jim's link I need a refresher course to be able to understand it...

I'll try to put it into laymens terms. PVD is a type of coating applied to metal surfaces. A different method than a "Chemical" method, like the blueing on many firearms, PVD is a film that is applied to a metal to protect it or to give it a specific look. It is similar to "Parkerizing" if you are familiar with that type of finish often used on firearms to provide corrosion resistance.

In the instance of the particular line of watches which we were discussing, Heuer offered in several lines watches which had this type of coating applied to the case and bracelet... The most common colors were Black, Olive Drab, and a very powdery elusive gray/silver color similar to that of brushed pewter. The end result is a non-reflective flat appearance to the case/bracelet surface in that color.

The Black color is very "macho" and "SWAT-Like"... The Olive Drab has a very Military look, and the powdery pewter look looks like a bead-blasted steel, not unlike that of a fine micrometer.

Once you've seen one in person you'll likely have a good feel for the finish.

-- Chuck

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE