The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Interesting SPAM, ? for Peanut Gallery on LWO 283

I received an interesting piece of SPAM e-mail today. Now normally Spam e-mail is either filtered automagically or I delete it immediately upon receipt, but I found this one interesting...

DOXA S.A. of Switzerland, founded in 1889 was chosen to become the official timekeeper of the Coppa Milano Sanremo 2003

As a tribute to the first revival of the historic Coppa Milano Sanremo, DOXA has remanufactured a limited edition series of 250 pieces of the famous high grade 40 jewel LEMANIA Caliber 283 Chronograph movement, this high grade movement dates back to the 70?s ,it was used in the most prestigious wristwatch chronographs of the 70s and 80s.

Each DOXA Coppa Milano Sanremo is a unique masterpiece of Swiss watch craftsmanship and a tribute to Swiss watch making history.

Technical Specifications:

Case: Stainless steel 316L, 45.30 mm including lugs, 41.20 mm diameter excluding crown, 13.45 mm thick Water-resistant to 100 meters

Crystal: anti-reflective quad coated, scratch-resistant sapphire crystal

Caseback: holds a stainless steel engraved Medallion of the race logo

Bezel: 12 hour rotating stainless steel bezel for displaying a 2nd time zone

Bracelet: hand made genuine calf skin leather strap with high quality DOXA signed clasp

Movement: NOS LEMANIA Caliber 283 fitted with a superior Dubois Depraz automatic Chronograph module

Friction Protection: 40 Jewels
Power reserve: 42 hours
Diameter: 30.00mm
Thickness: 6.50mm
Balance: smooth, three arms, in glucydur
Frequency: 28,800 pulsations/hour.
Balance-spring: Flat, with fine adjustment device, Nivarox 1.
Anti-shock system: Incabloc

http://www.doxawatches.com/cms_specs.htm

Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds, small seconds hand at 12 o'clock,Minute counter at 9 o'clock (30), Hour counter at 6 o'clock (12), Date with integrated magnifier ar 3 o'clock, Matt black dial, Stainless steel applied markers, Stainless steel hands (Superluminova filled).

The thing that really caught my eye is that this model supposedly uses the "NOS LEMANIA Caliber 283 fitted with a superior Dubois Depraz automatic Chronograph module"... First off, I personally doubt the existance of a "superior DuBois Depraz automatic chronograph module" as most people I know don't think very highly of DuBois Depraz chronograph modules. Secondly, since the LWO 283 is in essance a ETA 2892-2 with a Lemania chronograph module, it seems more than a bit of a misnomer to call the movement a NOS LWO 283 if they've replaced the Lemania module for a DuBois Depraz! But it isn't the first time a Sales/Marketing department hadn't gotten it's technical facts straight... Lastly, a Question for the Peanut Gallery, and perhaps one that maybe will take Hans to answer... Exactly how many firms used the ETA 2892-2/LWO 283 Movement? I know that Heuer/TAG-Heuer did (Still wearing my powered 2892-2/LWO 283 TAG-Heuer Pilot, THANKS HANS!!!), but how many other firms, and who were they?

Thanks in advance for your input and thoughts people!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox (Article index at: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE