The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
AdditionalThoughts...
In Response To: Watchmaking is a dying art ()

Watchmaking is a dying art Posted By: allen st john Date: 12/31/03 11:57 GMT

In Response To: I probably shouldn't post a reference publically… *LINK* (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

Chuck

Thanks muchly. To give you an idea, I called my brother yesterday, and he's been buying and selling watches, mostly pocket watches, and other small collectibles for 30 years. Asked him for a watchmaker reference.

He laughed and asked "Do you have one for me?"

I said "But, you're in the business."

He replied "Most of the good watchmakers I used were WWII veterans and all of them are dead."

Ah, well. Shane looks reasonably hearty.

He seems to be. He has always been cheery when I've spoken with him on the phone.

Now I do have a slew of other Watch Repair related links on my Watch Links page, but I have really only used Shane and Watchmaker Dave, who I'd highly recommend but I get the impression he is not as keen on long-distance or mail order work.

FWIW, I called Pro-Time yesterday--they're just down the road--and they say they won't work on non-Heuers. Then they told me to search the internet.

They probably have their schedule filled with their own product. I don't blame them. RGM - Roland Murphy is another possibility for you... I believe he is in the Philly/Lancaster PA region, but I believe they are a bit on the pricey side...

Thanks again,

Allene

Hope this helps. As a rule I prefer not to make public endorsements, and in future I'll probably just refer people to my links... But I figure no great harm will come of a momentary indiscretion...

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE