The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Chuck Maddox, my friend

I learned today of the sad news.

Chuck was a giant of watch collecting.

I emailed him by chance in 2001; thinking he is an expert, I might get a cold brush off / dismissive comment....as was common on the big forums.

I owned 1 Seiko Auto chono at the time.

Minutes later a warm greeting, and encouragement to collect and share came thru.

It was odd, and uncanny....we both loved the same exact watches: big, massive, cool, professional grade 60s/70s Chronographs, from Seiko to Heuer.

We bought the same models and sent links back and forth:

-Heuer Calculator
-Hamilton Count-Down
-Hamilton Blue Chrono
-Zenith El Primero Big Blue
-Zenith El Primero Pilot
-Longines Pumpkin regatta chrono
-Seiko #6138 Chronographs
-Nivada Chronographs
-Heuer GMT
-Glycine GMT
-Belair GMT
-Baylor GMT
-ELKA Chronographs

He taught me to pull the trigger on the rare ones, as they may never show up again.

He also was "old shool"...liked classic cars....enjoyed life, and was stand up. If he said he would buy your watch, the day you should sell....then he would with a USPS Money order via USPS next day with tracking # in your inbox.

I always had a reserve section of Chuck watches; he got the firsl email.

8 watches in all I sold to him, we never spoke in person, but thousands $ showed up and we traded; he was happy to be a reference as well.

Months could go by and no words; then I would find something and we would be back at it, chatting.

I sent him pics of my old roadsters restoration. His AC Coupe's photos showed up soon enough, and we were off emailing about a new obsession.

He was too young to go; way too young.

I know one thing; he lived his passion.

He did not say... I will hold off, not collect that one, cut back, wait, etc.

An example, that life is short.

He pursued his love of watches and had many a happy day receiving packages, wearing his pride and joy, traveling, writing, and sharing with friends.

Chuck, heres to you.

You went after the ultra rare; you were one after all.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE