The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Is the Sports Watch / Chronograph market skyrocketing?

I post this question b/c I have been out of the hobby since about 2005.

I revisited a prior passion; vintage and exotic cars: that hobby garnered most of my attention and money!

Prior to that I purchased a vintage chronograph / dive watch about once a month, with a collection of 40+ and turnover/sales 6-8 watches per yr over a 5yr period.

I post some non-Heuer trends; as many collect other Swiss or Professional/tool watches.

However, in my 3 yr. absence i have seen the following:

-1000%+ Price increase of the Omega Plo Prof (post Omegamania/auction shenanigans)
-50-300+% increase in Heuer Chronos (ie, that Heuer 100 Chrono for $4k)
-70s Longines chronographs going from $750 to $1500-2000
-Tudor Subs going from $1000 to $2-3000
-Tudor Pre-Tiger Chronographs going from $1500 to $3-4000
-Aquastar Dive Watches $500 to $1500+
-Obscure names: Nivada/Bucherer w.Lemania/Valjoux chronos going from $350 to $700-1500
-The Hamilton Count-Down go from $500 to $2200
-Doxa dive watches up 100-200+%
-Poor mans Heuers: going from $300 to 800

Now, I did see the same happen in the 2002-2003 recession; when collectors seemed oblivious to the economy.

So whats driving this? The strong Euro? Collectors using ebay/web/forums; re-issue retro/fad more?

As an aside, you would all be suprised how many of your watches once sold could allow you to afford a nice sports car!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE