The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I Remember When . . .

I started collecting about the time that ebay got going (late 1998). My memories of the old days involve:

• taking turns, with a pal in the UK, bidding on the Rally Master pairs . . . bargain was at $800 / it had to be nice to go to $1,200 / three of them, with the Ferrari logos might get close to $2,000

• passing on nice automatic Autavias, if they went above $350

• missing (by 20 minutes) a true "Chronomatic" Siffert, listed on Timezone at $499 (with original bracelet)

• being peeved when I had agreed to buy Carrera, black-dial-with-white-registers, on Timezone, for the $799 asking price, and the seller changed his mind and accepted an offer of $850 from an interloper

• missing Unitimes in the $600 range

Still, it's been a fun hobby, most days!!

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Remember when you could buy a mint vintage Heuer, box and papers
: for well under $500 (or even $100)?

: It was err...yesterday, or even tomorrow... (see below some of my
: new aquisitions).

: These are pretty nice, and cost a little bit less than a Mcqueen
: Monaco.
: Having said that, remember that Jack Heuer had said they sold 10
: stopwatches for every watch they sold,
: so no matter what happens to Carrera or Monaco prices, I don't
: think these are going up that much.

: But maybe the stopwatches are even more true to the heart of the
: Heuer brand than the Carrera?

:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE