The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Some Siffert thoughts for discussion

Jeff, first congratulations to the 20.000 posts an impressive number !

After the recent discussions around our well loved Sifferts I thought it could be helpfull to classify the different development stages of reference 1163 T.
First the Chronomatic:Chronomatic on top of Heuer and unique case with less integrated pushers.Hours subdial showing 3,6,9,12.(MY1969)
Mark 1 would be the all steel hands, steel indices and Autavia on top of Heuer, slightly more integrated pushers, Autavia typo showing the flat V. (MY1970)
Mark 2 new indices with black inserts, steel hands with black inserts, Autavia typo showing the pointed V, new more rounded and integrated pusher cut outs.(MY1970 1/2)
Mark 3 introduction of the blue tipped brushed steel hands(MY 1971)
Mark 4 hour subdial numbered 1 to 12.(MY 1972)
Mark 5 introduction of white painted steel hands with black inserts matching indices inserts.Larger pusher cutouts.(MY 1972 1/2)
Also was the thickness of printing on the tachy rings slightly different.
I have not seen any Siffert 1163T in Heuer catalogs after MY 1971/72, hence we could say the Siffert was only advertised and produced between 1969 and 1972.
The maximal production by modelline was 2000 pieces a year, the split between black dialed so called Derek Bell 1163 MH would be possibly 50/50.
Therefore we could guess that between 1970 and 1972 around 3000 Sifferts were produced.
Any thoughts ?
The last mint Siffert I have seen on offer, was sold at the Munich watch fair two weeks ago for 4500€.
Prices on the raise, good quality or even new old stock ones have become very very hard to find and deserve a hefty price premium.

Cheers

Arno

www.heuerchronographs.com

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE