The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
SCAN DAY: "The Twins!" Pocket Chrono Ref. 11.204's

Hello,

Did anybody see what happened to the pair of #11.204's being offered for sale recently? The seller was selling on behalf of a USA motor sport club I think. I forgot to bookmark the item and cannot find them now. Thanks.

Terry Andrews

As promised here are scans and the background of my latest Heuer Acquisitions:
From the Seller, Bryan Cohn:
You'll be very pleased with thes for your collection, as the history and linage can be traced to new.

I'll be happy to provide you with the information if you'd like.....Be ready for several pages! (Just kidding)

They've only had two owners. St. Louis Region, and a gent by the name of Bob Hubbard

Bob was an MG/Triumph/Mazda dealer in Columbia Mo. who also happened to be a damn fine racecar driver and engineer.

He ran MG Midgets for years with SCCA, running in the top five at the Runoofs for years, winning the June Sprints and other major amatuer SCCA events all over the US.

Eventually, he sold the dealership and started on a career as a race mechanic for Mazda factory teams in IMSA. He worked all the biggies, Downing, Mandaville, Al Bacon (GTU) for many years.

He retired from that in the mid 90's, and went back to racing his MG Midget, that had been parked in the mid 80's. His cars were so far ahead of their time, that the car not only was still competitve, but lead the 2000 Runoffs (with a different driver, another fine gent, Don Cooper)!!!

Bob was in an accident while racing the MG during the end of the 1999 season, where he broke his neck, but had no permenant damage.

During treatment, they found he had cancer, and he passed within the year, but not before selling the car to Don Cooper, who fixed it and then raced it in the before mentioned races.

From what we know, during all this time, his crew used the watches to time him and his competition.

St. Louis Region bought them new, but no one knows for sure when. There are no Region records back that far of this sort. We do know when electronic timing came into fashion, and from that can guess their purchase timeframe of somewhere in the mid/late sixties.

At the end of 1973 they were fazed out in favor of the "New" system.

We don't know exactly when Bob bought them, but it couldn't have been much later than the start of the 1974 racing season.

I hope that has shed some light on the watches for you.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

So, that's the background history of my latest acquisition(s)... I also own a pair of Omega Split second Rattrapante Pocket chronograph watches, but they are physically larger watches than the Heuers, but they make an interesting counterpoint to one another. To read more about the Omega's follow this link...

That's pretty much the story, aside from the fact I'm very pleased to have them in my collection. They seem to be keeping pretty good time.

Cheers!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Messages In This Thread

SCAN DAY: "The Twins!" Pocket Chrono Ref. 11.204's
Re: SCAN DAY: "The Twins!" Pocket Chrono Ref. 11.2
Scan Day -- What Makes The Twins Tick
Quite the pair..
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE