The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
An Article to be Written: Getting it Right the Second Time

This is a subject for a much lengthier message, or even an article, but I have this pet theory that in many instances, watch designers "get it right" the second time. With the first one, they are in a huge rush to get the watch into production . . . so the Autavia GMT has the Viceroy hands or the Monaco has crude looking rectangular-tipped hands or the Siffert gets the Carrera polished steel hands. With a little time on the drawing board, and in the preparation of new components, the new model can get the elements that may come to define the watch . . . for example, the red-edged hands on the Autavia. There are exceptions and matters of personal preference -- for example, I think the very first Autavias were the pick of the litter -- but as a general rule, I am thinking that they often got it right the second time!!

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Here are a couple of the even number bezeled 1163 that I let go of
: many moons ago..
:
:
: The one I never owned is on its way and for me it is the auto GMT
: to have...
: Cheers,
: D

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE