The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Home again - Ahhhh

As good as an overseas trip can be , its always nice to return home. Back to your loved ones and all your familiar surroundings. One of the things i missed most whilst away was this fine forum. It was quite fitting that one of the hot topics while i was away were GMT's. I had with me a really nice 1163 GMT i received in the post the day before i flew out - it seemed a natural choice then to take the GMT to cover the 2 time zones.

There's quite a story related to the purchase of this GMT too. I purchased the watch through Chronotrader on 28 July. The seller(USA) sent it to me(Denmark) that day, 8 days later i receive notice from the post office of its arrival and that they will release it to me upon payment of import duties. The following day i went to pay and collect my watch only to hear they could no longer find it and although the package was registered there was no further record of where it was since arrival. More than 4 weeks of frustrating phone calls and the post office finally gave up and declared it a lost item. They told me to chase the seller up as he should have insurance on the item !?! This seemed madness as it was clearly Danish Post that had "misplaced" the item. I had visions of some pimpley-faced youth working part-time delivering mail on a moped - wearing my watch - completely blank to its historical significance or its value.

Then 7½ weeks after having paid for the watch the seller ( thank-you Dennis ) emails me to let me know the watch has been returned to him safe and unharmed & he would happily re-post it.
I think its fair to say that i had all but given up any chance of receiving this watch and that the difficulties in getting it have only deepened my attatchment to it.
Its in great condition, bright colours, crisp case (only slight signs of polishishing) & functioning perfectly, it even comes on a period strap with an original sun stamped buckle. A real treat to wear.

All the best - Darren

Messages In This Thread

Home again - Ahhhh
A true thing of beauty! Congrats! *NM*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE