The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
unknown vintage yacht timer

I have what i think is a yacht timer, I cannot establish the vintage.

to describe it:
it is in a metal case with a timber insert
the timer itself has heuer in the typical heuer 5 sided logo on the face, the logo is in just blue outline and made in switzerland on the bottom of the face
there are no other markings on either the face or the rear of the case, I am unwilling to open it for the moment.
it is a countdown timer, the inside is 4-0 in red lettering with blue borders
the numbers around the outside are blue and countdown to 0
the hands are red, the inner hand is quite thick but short with a point
it has a round winder with a ring mounted to the stem (pardon me if my jargon is incorrect)
at the 30 position (ie 6 o'clock) it has a half d ring with a rope strap.

it seems to be specifically a 5 minute timer which about what i'd expect for a race start timer.

i acquired this from a museum dispersal sale about 5 years ago through a very reputable auction house but i've yet to establish exactly what it is.

it doesn't seem anywhere near as 'pretty' as the 1960 version so I assume its possibly an earlier version.

oh and yes it still works, resets etc.

Ah, I guess then my question is simple - can someone please tell me what is it?

thanks!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE