The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Let's See What Humpty Dumpty Has to Add to the Discussion

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll.

I believe that Hunpty Dumpty got this exactly right. In the end, it's all about the meaning of the words, "custom made" and the word "fake".

I am not an expert in the language of auctions. To say that a watch is "custom made" might mean that it was made by the named manufacturer, with some modifications, as requested by the customer or for some special purpose. There are many famous examples of watches that have such modifications and customizations.

On the other hand, perhaps "custom made" might be understood to mean "fake", i.e., custom made by an individual, not authorized by anyone, who took pieces from a variety of watches and combined them to produce this watch.

I simply do not know the language of these auctions. It seems that sellers -- whether on ebay or in the most reputable auction houses -- often "can make words mean so many things". In this instance, I am highly certain that this watch was not made by or with the authorization of Heuer, but it has the "Heuer" name on the dial and "Heuer Leonidas" on the movement. In my understanding of words, that makes it a "fake" (which I normally define to mean, "something other than what it purports to be"). I suppose none of the sellers are fond of this particular "F" word.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: The AQ catalog only says that this watch was
: "custom-made", which is not untrue... The Patents
: accorded to Mr Dubey and Mr Schaldenbrand in 1947, 1949 and 1952
: (253,051, 260,791, and another one I can't find) mention that
: this mechanism may be adapted to many calibers. Nine additional
: parts are neede to adapt this mechanism to a Venus 188, and 13
: to add it to a Valjoux or Landeron 48 (Source: Joel Pynson
: article).

: Which is apparently what was done with the Heuer caliber offered by
: Antiquorum...

: It may have been adapted by a private watchmaker, or even at the
: D&S shop. Who knows?

: Did someone ask Cinette Robert herself (CEO of D&S)?? She is
: reputed for very good memory...

: François

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE