The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Autavia Cal 11 with orange hands?

My Heuer Autavia GMT was purchased before the switch in caliber; it has orange hands. On the right 12 hour dial there are no red sections, whereas on the next version there was some red numbering on that dial. Also, on mine, the two push pins on the right of the watch that start and return to zero the chronogram functions are not fully inset into the body of the watch - a bit of stem shows. On the next model, those two pins are more inset into the watch. To my knowledge these are the differences. I will say this about Cal 11 - it was on my wrist when I played tennis, squash, spear fished, ran, etc, etc, and I didn't even have to have the movement cleaned for 15 years, as it ran perfectly for that period. I hardly ever took it off. The Autavia GMT, at least the version that I have, was more dependable than Omega Seamasters and Rolex GMT watches worn by friends, who complained about cost of servicing, etc. I do not argue against a regular servicing, it is just that it took 15 years for my Cal 11 version to fail to keep near perfect time, and then, all it took to bring it back to specs was cleaning and reoiling. I am told that the problem that caused the change in caliber was that Cal 11 required more agressive motion to stay wound, and that sedatary users had to on occasion wind them manually. The next caliber used in this watch was easier to keep wound with less vigerous movement. My view that this is a true sports watch that is made for active sports persons and not couch potatoes. Also think of the convenience of having a sports watch with full chrono time recording functions and dual timezones for the international set.

George C. McKinnis

George C. McKinnis

Messages In This Thread

Autavia Cal 11 with orange hands? *LINK*
Re: Autavia Cal 11 with orange hands?
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE