The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
A Slightly Different Take on the "Family Theme"

Considering that my "family" of interests includes both automobiles and timepieces, I thought I'd offer this slight departure from the current theme:

If, in the early 60's, you had the desire and (considerable) means to own one of the world's finest and most capable sports cars of the era, you might have chosen a Ferrari 250 SWB (short wheel base). Though designed primarily for racing, Enzo Ferrari endeavored to fund his racing with road-car sales and the 250 SWB is a superb example of that philosophy. At only 250 cc's per cylinder (and hence the name) the beautiful little 3 ltr V 12 produced between 240 and 280 HP depending on the version. This was quite enough power to likely get you from anywhere in western Europe to the Heuer factory in one (exciting) day, where you could collect the Heuer Autavia you had ordered by telegram. After all, what discriminating Ferrari owner would be without fine Italian leather driving gloves and an equally fine Swiss Chronograph? These cars once languished in the classifieds section of Road & Track as "used cars", but if you want one today you'll require a bank account with seven digits, and thus explaining why I collect real watches and 1/12 scale Ferraris.

My second selection is of an automobile marque which is most closely associated with the Heuer name; Porsche, where "Excellence is Expected". This particular car is the 1966 Model 906, or commonly referred to as the Carrera 6. Utilizing a tubular space frame, a fiberglass body and weighing just 1300lbs (under 600 kilos), the car exemplified Porsches emphasis on reliable and lightweight racers, and was their first to be designed with the aid of a wind tunnel. Powered by Porsche's legendary flat six of just 2ltrs, it was the closest competitor to the 1st, 2nd & 3rd place 4.7 ltr Ford GT40's at LeMans in 1966. The 906's finished 4th 5th & 6th and most shockingly, ahead of the far more powerful Ferraris. Four year later, Porsche would win its first overall victory at LeMans with the 917, the car which was featured Steve McQueen's movie, and played a major part in the career of Jo Siffert. Yes indeed, the history of Porsche and Heuer are forever intertwined.

Thanks for viewing.

Jim

Messages In This Thread

A Slightly Different Take on the "Family Theme"
Re: A Slightly Different Take on the "Family Theme"
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE