The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Best Seller Protection = Big Ugly Box, with Box-in-Box

: we see so many of the boxes, quickly slit open by the
: warehouseman, deliveryman, or package sorter. In five seconds,
: the box is slit, and the watch is removed, and the empty package
: continues on its way, to be delivered to recipient.

: maybe the best protections are (a) big, ugly outside box, covered
: in ugly brown paper, so that it looks like a pair of boots,
: rather than a watch, and (b) box-in-box, so that the thief has
: trouble removing the watch from the box, even if he slits the
: outer box. Of course, Buyer can still steal from you, but I
: believe that this technique removes some risk from the shipment
: itself. : +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Jeff

These are very good points; the care taken in carefully preparing a valuable item for shipping can pay dividends for both the buyer and seller. Having observed first-hand the pitfalls which can occur to a package while entrusted to a shipping company, I would offer the following observations/recommendations:

A box within a box is an excellent method of a second line of defense against damage or theft.

ALWAYS include a copy of the shipper and consignee address within the package. If using the "box in a box" method, affix the extra label to the inside box.

Adequately cushioning your valuable item is the first line of defense against damage. I recommend bubble wrap around the item for the inner box, and tightly balled newspaper sheets between the inner and outer walls. The goal should be a 3" cushion between inner and outer, so that the small box is "suspended" by the newspaper material. The finished package must be able to withstand a 30" drop (minimum) with no damage. I would also advise that the item (either before or after the bubble wrap) be placed in a tightly sealed zip-lock bag to prevent against moisture.

Use a high quality, clear tape (such as 3M) only for sealing the package and affixing the label(s). Cover every edge of the package with the tape so that no raw cardboard edges are exposed. The only exception to clear tape is when using USPS Registered which requires brown paper tape on all edges for security stamps. This service is, I believe, for domestic only, but provides an extra level of security.

Use only NEW or LIKE NEW cartons. Used cartons may have lost some structural integrity AND secondary labels can create confusion to the carrier, even when covered over.

Make your "TO" and "FROM" labels on a word processor in bold and clear font, print them out on regular paper and then cut them to fit the package. Use a larger font for the "TO" label and then affix them securely to the package with two layers of clear tape.

Do not cover the carton with any material such as brown paper (sorry, Jeff), as it can be easily torn and, with the paper, goes the shipping label.

Do not add any markings to the box which might indicate a valuable item. I'm sure that this is self-explanatory.

Any of the companies which provide international or domestic shipping services have printed guidelines for preparing packages, and these are thoughtful instructions for getting your valued shipments through their system safely and securely. You can also find instructions and recommendations on their websites. Spending the extra time and effort to assemble a protective cocoon for your valuable will help to ensure its safe arrival.

I'm open to discussion or questions.

Jim
UPS, Retired

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE