The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Titanium Tag Heuer Chrono Model 220.206: Spare Parts? *PIC*

Hi,

I recently managed to get a hold of a Titanium Tag Heuer Quartz Chrono, model 220.206, from Ebay (link to an image from Chuck Maddox below). This watch dates from the late 80s, early 90s. The watch is externally in excellent condition, and the seller claimed it was working fine. When I received the watch, it was not running. I sent it off to Tag Heuer service here is Sweden to get it checked and cleaned internally as necessary, and they have come back with a whopping cost estimate for service / refurbishment. The estimate is over $500, with the bulk of the cost being for the refurbishment of the quartz movement, which they say has dried out, and as a result of the watch sitting still ie. not running for a long period, has become damaged. I asked if it was not possible just to get a replacement quartz movement from ETA or Ronda, and they claim that there is no other quartz movement available to fit. In addition, even if the watch is refurbished, due to the crown "seal" or "throat" being missing, deteriorated or damaged (I can't quite understand what this is called in English, but it is not the crown itself), the watch can never be made water resistant again. I was informed that there are no spare "throats" available at Tag Heuer in Switzerland. Do any of you know if it is possible to get this particular part from somewhere else? If so, and I can get it, then I might go ahead with the refurbishment. I intend to split the costs with the seller since I expected anyway to pay the price of a general clean up (gasket, battery change, oiling of movement etc.).

I will not go ahead with the refurbishment if it is not possible to make the watch water resistant. In which case I will ship the watch back to the seller and claim a refund.

By the way, for those of you who are mechanical Heuer afficionados, I feel the same way about quartz, hence the apparent madness to pay for an expensive service for a quartz watch.

Any good advice / know-how appreciated

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE