The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Some thoughts on waterproofness.

Dear Splodger, I hope that someone else can come up with better news for you, but based on my own experiences waterproofness is very seldom if ever guaranteed again for a vintage watch, no matter who's doing the service.
In fact even in the fortunate case where the service people are able to find all the right pieces (gaskets, seals etc.) they don't want the burden of guaranteeing: this means the watch may actually be waterproof (and usually is), but no explicit or formal statement will be provided.
Quite the contrary indeed: often, though not always, they'll provide you with a statement that will say something like: "Although all relevant parts were substituted, the very age of the watch prevents us from providing you any warranty for it being waterproof" etc.
Again from personal experience I have always taken this with common sense, and I've worn my watches w/o paying attention to this: of course I don't take a shower or a swim with them but no problems with everyday activity like washing your hands or getting caught out in the rain.
Hope this may somehow relieve your worries.
Fabrizio
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE