The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Fully agree, and can't understand why...
In Response To: Monza Racing History and PICS ()

Hi Arno, thanks for your comprehensive Monza update, very neat and precise as always from you.
Also, again usual for your pieces, stunning watches indeed, NOS gems rarer and rarer to be found.
I agree the Monza seems to be the real underdog between the vintage Heuers, and I can't see why indeed. Let's just try summing it up:

- very strong racing connection
- link to a historical event such as a F1 championship win (first for Ferrari in 11 years)
- unique design (as the similar Modena is so very rare)
- fancy package with the Heuer helmet
- PVD coating

On the flip side I would put:
- the lack of the 12-hour counter.
- no offical or unofficial "endorsement" by any drivers or glamourous catalogue pics: how strange we have no photos of any drivers wearing it (especially Lauda and Regazzoni, to whom it should have borne dear memories), especially compared to Siffert's and Bell's Autavias, or Regazzoni's Silverstone.

I am definitely an eighties' Heuers / sixties' Carreras fan, but though I own no Monzas they certainly exercise a not-so-subtle fascination on me.

Cheers.

Fabrizio

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE