The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
40th Anniv Monaco- disappointed?

Greetings all,

Well, a belated happy new year. I'm embarassed to say it's been bloody ages since I've visted OTD- Christmas, holidays etc, and have now seen the posts about the stolen listing of my NOS Monaco- thanks David for contacting me, sorry I'm a little late. Yes, the Sparky's NOS Monaco is alive and well in Queensland Australia, is being worn and was recently in a newspaper article up there I believe. Glad to see the auction's been pulled.

Also, I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the 40th Anniversary Homage Monaco.

Two of my favourites are these- a Mark II Monaco with flat hands & mirror blue dial, and my CS-2110 re-edition. The 40th one just seems to be a very expensive amalgam of these two- same smaller case and pushers as the first limited edition re-edition 1998 Monaco, with a facsimile original dial and copied colouring. Fancy movment aside and some pics of McQueen on your packaging (which they're sure to do), it doesn't really speak to me. Compare it to the new Cal 16 Carrera- now that looks great with arabic numerals and pushers looking like those on a vintage dash clock.......

I guess it's the only way they could have gone given the varied designs they've recently flogged ......and TAG have never yet authentically copied the McQueen original characteristics- it's just a shame I can't get a futuristic Concept type Monaco (V4 anyone?), in celebration of the 40th, instead. The PR angle will be huge and they'll get plenty of coverage...but GBP6000! Still, great for the collectablity value of the 5000 original CS2110's re-editions they sold, I think.

Oh, and at the time I got the black one, new in 1998, it was guaranteed as a "once off, never to be repeated" modern Monaco! How many versions are they up to now?

End of rant.

Disappointed? Anyone agree?

Cheers all,

Stewart.

Messages In This Thread

40th Anniv Monaco- disappointed?
Re: 40th Anniv Monaco- disappointed?
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE