The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Just One Reminder

Maybe this goes without saying, but let me say it anyway: It is relatively easy to get the person at the counter to accept a package, and even easier if it is "declared" incorrectly. I worry more about the situation where the package is lost, then you must show them the photos of the old chronograph that was in the box. Sure they accepted the package, but their terms and conditions will say that you took the risk in shipping the item.

I have read the "fine print" on FedEx (domestic), and it was not very favorable for the shipper -- as I recall, many categories were excluded, including antiques and collectibles. I seem to recall that the UPS and US Postal Service fine print was more favorable, so I use those more often.

There are also some specialty firms (one is called "ParcelPro") that will accept jewelry, coins, antiques, etc., after you sign up for the service and provide certain background information.

Let us know what else you learn.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I am trying to ship a watch from UK to Europe,
: preferably insured.
: All the major companies (UPS, DHL, Fedex)
: refuse to carry anything that is an
: "antique" over £300 value. They
: say they can't ship it, even without
: insurance.
: What do people do in this situation? Do you
: just put "minimal value" when
: asked and hope for the best?
: Any ideas...

: thnks
: shaun

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE