The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Additional Information, including ONE GREAT STORY

Thanks to Mike for taking the lead on this series of questions. I agree with his answers, and have a few additional thoughts, as follows.

2. The crown is a replacement, and a bit large; the original crowns did not have the Heuer logo. I am not sure that I've seen many of these early Autavias with their original crowns. In any case, the crowns were fairly generic looking, and you should be able to find a nice one.

3. Pushers should be smaller and smooth.

5. The bezels are the parts that take the beating; most restorations look messy; replacements are almost impossible to find. Your bezel actually looks better than some that I have seen on the early Autavias.

6. This is among the rarest of all the Heuers. The first execution screw back cases, with the first execution dials (large registers), are very scarce. I would estimate that I have seen two or three per year on the market. Rarest of all might be this one -- with the 30 minute register. I can recall seeing only one of these, and that is yours. The two-register Autavias used the Valjoux 92 until the late 1960's, but it was only the first version that had the 30-minute register. The later ones were 45-minute registers.

MY BOTTOM LINE: You have a very rare watch, that is of considerable sentimental value. To me, the dial, case and bezel are the most critical elements, and these are all genuine / probably original. The chrono has been restored with some incorrect parts -- hands, crown and pushers. It may be difficult to find anyone who has all these parts, at the same time, but if you are patient, I expect that you would be able to find the parts, over time, and have this chrono properly restored.

Perhaps most important is the history that came with this watch -- presented to your father in 1962, for 25 years of service, with the back so inscribed. How many of us have anything like that in our collections!!

Good luck with it, and keep us informed of your progress.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: 1 yes dauphine hands
: 2 winder looks replacement, would have smaller
: crown, pls compare with 3 reg chrono on the
: dash
: 3 pushers originally smaller
: 4 originally leather, steel avail on extra cost
: 5 eraly bezels are at least for me impossible
: to find...no refurb really possible maybe
: minor cosmetics
: 6 definetely a rare version, overhaul depends
: always on purchase expenses
: Hope this helps, Jeff as Autavia master would
: you agree with my comments,
: Best
: AMH

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Shouldn't the hands be of the dauphine style?

2. Could the winder be a replacement as it seems too large compared with the pictures and catalogue images in your sit? It bears the Heuer logo on its end face, is 7 mm diameter and 4 mm high. Or is that correct for this model?

3. The outer diameter (4.4 mm) of the pushers is not cylindrical but has six small axial indentations. Are those the right ones for this model? I think they should be smaller and without the axial indentations.

4. The bracelet is an Omega one. Did this watch originally have a leather arm band or a metal bracelet? Is either still obtainable as an original or remake?

5. Can very worn bezels be refurbished or are they still available as replacement parts?

6. Is this watch one of the rarer versions? Do you consider a complete overhaul worthwhile? I fear it may be rather expensive!

I would be truly grateful if you could answer these questions for me. I am considering having the watch reconditioned (subject to cost) and would like some technical info for that purpose. If the above questionable parts are indeed non-contemporary, as I suspect, would I be correct in
thinking that an expensive overhaul would only be justified if the correct parts can be obtained, new or second-hand?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE