The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Quartz V Automatic, 1979-style

Alex posted below in the "Very scarce Verona on the bay" thread with a link to the catalogues on his site.

There is some interesting stuff in there - the 1979 price list I found particularly so, as it shows the value placed on quartz watches when they were first coming in.

An excerpt:

365.253 Carrera Analog 375,-
110.253 Carrera 395,-
371.253 Carrera Twin 395,_

Some notes on those model numbers for those unfamiliar with them - the 110.253 is the successor to the 1153 Cal 11/12, basically the same watch with another designation; the 371.253 Carrera Twin is the one with the LCD module that I've posted pics of my two examples before; the 365.253 is just a watch with no chronograph functionality at all.

So a Carrera Twin with the LCD display for chrono and a relatively common ESA Y2 movement cost exactly the same as a Cal 12 driven automatic chrono. And the discount for a quartz watch with no time-recording functionality is a mere 20,- DM (or, put another way, just 5%).

Seems incredible now. The market rate for a Carrera Twin is around 1/4 to 1/3 of the automatic in equivalent condition. Looking at a 2004 Tag Heuer price list for a modern comparison, a quartz Kirium chrono was £455 less than the equivalent automatic (getting on for 25% cheaper). How things change...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE