The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Automobile = Fuel, Fire and Air; Digital Photography = ? ? ?

a long time ago, a friend taught me that all a car needs is fuel, fire and air, and that the rest of the issues relate to reliable supply, regulation, metering, monitoring, etc. So when the car is not running properly, we begin the inquiry by checking the fuel, the fire and the air.

I know that we need to do a thread or a scan day (or scan month) featuring photo tips, but let me start with a couple of simple ideas, parallel to the "fuel, fire and air" ideas of the automobile:

• Light -- you need a lot of light; usually artificial, but daylight is great

• Diffuse the Light -- with the bright lights come the hot spots and reflections; so the bright light must be diffused; softened; controlled; best pattern will be a large head (light source), rather then brightly focused lights or spot lights

• Camera with Good Macro -- some cameras have good macro, and some don't; use one with good macro capabilities

• Something to Hold the Camera -- you need something to hold the camera, allowing longer exposures with higher f/stop, to get more depth of field; tripod or brackets are required here

• Remote Shutter Release -- whether on a cord or wireless, or even the camera's self timer, you have an advantage (free hand) if you don't need to press the shutter release.

We will devote a thread or scan weekend to photography tips, but I would say that these are the basics. With a Nikon Coolpix 4500 from ebay ($200), the remote shutter release ($60), some shop lights from a home improvement store (cost uncertain), a mounting bracket ($50 to $100), and a frosted plastic trash can ($10), you can do well for under $300 to $400. If you do well in selling one watch, you will have paid for this set-up. Of course, you can spend much more, if your budget and interests take you there.

Show below are an example of a lighting set-up showing these principles, and two of the resulting photos from this set-up; yes, these are the actual photos, taken with this exact set-up.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I can try to give you some little advice, but I m not a
: photographer I'm a amateur.

: -But on your camera ISO 100 ! or ISO 160
: -Take a camera-stand
: -Take two or three soft lights from the side
: -Try to use raw files

: Thats all and you can make pictures like that, Enicar sherpas:

:
:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE