The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Quick Answer . . .
In Response To: Quick Answer . . . ()

Jeff's right of course, this is a dead giveaway, but I hope going through some simple steps to check was helpful too.

There are other similar guides on the forum - Chuck did a piece a few years back called something like "Researching a Carrera", which a search should be able to turn up - I certainly found them helpful when I first stumbled across this site, so other newcomers might too. It all helps towards building your own method for verifying a watch - whether from small and blurry auction site photos or stumbling across that strange but exciting watch in the back street jewellers (where all your methodology and rigour is at risk from breaking down in the excitement of the moment!) - and minimising the risk of making a mistake.

Most of the WG5114s Google turned up for sale happened to be in Singapore and we know that that was/is also a location where there is a watch-faking industry. I'd imagine WG5114s were being faked back in the day and later Link dials were added without recasting the casebacks. Caveat emptor if you're buying a watch from someone you know is just back from there... or Canal Street come to that :)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE