The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Mystery Gold Heuer Grail

I'll post some gold from my collection, but first, I wanted to post about my personal grail watch.

In 1987, my (to be) wife bought me a gold Heuer in Geneva for our engagement. The watch was stolen/lost about five years later. I've been trying to find a replacement for that watch for the last ten years, but even with the huge amount of Heuer information accumulated through the onthedash forum and website, and watching ebay and watch sellers for years, I have not been able to identify the Heuer that I lost. The watch was solid gold, with a rounded smooth gold snapback case. It has square pushers, and a rounded crown. It was a two register chrono, and no name on the dial, but the dial was very Carrera like. I can't remember the hands exactly, but I think they were straight Carrera like, not dauphine.

I've made a mock up of the watch, compositing a few different watches in photoshop. From memory, it looked like this:

Any one have any idea what it was? I have four alternative explanations:

1) it was made just before carrera name was put on the dial, but with special gold case. There are similar looking chronos in the 60s catalogs, but they dont mention a gold version and have the more usual rounded pushers

2) it was part of a limited edition "golden hours" type production, but I can't find it in the catalogs of the era. The watch was bought from a dealer in the small back streets in Geneva, not a main dealer, so I remember it was not in a modern Heuer box (maybe the box didn't fit the watch). I don't have the box anymore.

3) It was a franken. I doubt this very much, I just don't see a Geneva dealer (it was a pretty nice shop) making Heuer frankens in the 1980s when you probably could have picked up a siffert for $200

4) My memory is scrambled and the watch was more like the 1950s reference 3641

Anyone have any more info to add to my grail quest?

The other story from my wife & Heuers - she was obviously a good choice as she was wearing this watch when we met (posed with a suitably 80's classic record):

Messages In This Thread

Mystery Gold Heuer Grail
Re: Mystery Gold Heuer Grail
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE