The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Response

Gents, I do not usually respond to threads regarding watches due to be auctioned but after reading your comments felt it was warranted.

To clarify the dated engraving on the reverse, Bill Maher gave the watch to his young nephew in 1974, his parents, feeling he was too young to wear it kept it safe until finally permitting him 'bragging rights' after having his name and date of birth engraved on the reverse to make sure no school kids deprived him of it. Regarding the hands, yes, they are service hands as he cared for the watch and sent it back to Tag Heuer in NY on several occasions for servicing. It has though, for many years, remained unused in a drawer.

I am sure also anyone who has researched into the life of Steve McQueen knew he would keep as many items as possible from movies he was in, cars, clothes, even a kettle, nothing was too small if he could get away with it (he even took cash then billed the production company for 'extra expenses' when then they asked for it back.) Bearing in mind Solar Productions Inc., a company he owned, produced LeMans it is highly unlikely, if not plain crazy, to imagine he would give back to the prop master (who was on his payroll) the watch he had been wearing. There are also no images of him wearing the watch once filming finished.

I cannot vouch for the authenticity of previous examples handled or sold but can assure you this is the genuine article. I did not speak to them myself but apparently according to Tag, four Heuer Monacos were provided, three with blue dials, one grey, many other models were also provided and several can be seen on the wrists of various other drivers in the movie.

Anyone who still has their doubts Bill Maher and Neile McQueen Toffel will be attending the Los Angeles preview of the sale, weather is beautiful here, jump on a plane and ask Bill about the time Steve gave it to him yourself.

Great site, hope the above answers a few questions. You are welcome to email me if you have (serious) queries.

Charles

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE